Welcome to the driving adventures of NGJones, today I remember a security training that was required by my job about months ago:
He was a slightly eccentric and definitely paranoid man with an unorthodox, yet effective, method of getting his point across.
One of those was about keeping a less than predictable schedule; to vary times and routes of travel just frequently enough. He told the audience that he drives his wife nuts with this because he will take one of three or more known routes between a place and home. Break routine.
I think about this, partially because he said that we would remember at least some part of his briefing, but also because I tend to do this naturally. Not necessarily for security or anti-terrorism, but because knowing several routes is beneficial. Taking a different route keeps me thinking about the task at hand, it keeps my mind fresh on each route that I know, it gives me a different scenery, and escape routes should I ever hit traffic along one of the many.
The speaker calls himself and is known to others as "The DICE Man." His reasons give me yet another reason to keep doing what I do.
Off topic; I love to plan - anything and everything (maybe not....) but certainly when and how I'm going to go about school/work/ hobbies... etc. But, I also love to break my plan - they are tentative.
I guess I like to have the plan; but don't feel that I have to follow it - so long as I am getting done what I think I should be getting done.
Yup, another day on the road.
No comments:
Post a Comment