Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Will we make it?

Welcome to the first entry of my Maryland driving adventures with my somewhat trusty 2 door. I am NGJones and this is what happens between Champagne and I about once a month.

My companion and I, Champagne, are low on gasoline, again.
I've been with her for 5 years now; she's a 2005 manual coupe. Nothing special, but she runs well and she's mine. Because we've traveled together for over 60k miles, I know that I can get 400 to 450 miles on each tank. We're at 410 now. Can we make it the 40 miles to my significant other's place (where there is also $.10/gal cheaper gas)??

Calculating.... latest mi/gal calculations, 14.1 gallon tank... about 1 gallon left... etc.

I always fill up 100% when I do and I happen to keep a tiny notepad to keep track of it. I record the date, the price (per gallon and total), the miles (trip and odometer), and then write in that tanks mi/gal.

Checking this; I keep thinking "will we make it?"
I calculate, extrapolate.. it will be VERY close.

My sig other isn't answering the phone. I don't have to gas to dilly-daddle for sure.
So I stop ( :-( I was hoping to push the limits) .
It's cheaper than I expect at this gas station, so I'm pleased about that at least.

I have some shopping for upcoming birthdays, I'll stop at target until the sig other answers.


I do some post-calculation; it would have been too close for comfort if I had tried to make the drive without getting gas first.

I go through this a few times per year. I see the "check gauges," light come on in the dashboard probably once a month. Keep in mind, I know Champagne warns me when she still has about 2 gallons (or 60+ miles) left in her.

No comments:

Post a Comment